January 18, 2014

What Alice Forgot



What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Fiction
2011 Amy Einhorn Books (G.P. Putnam’s Sons)
Finished on 9/26/13
Rating: 4.5/5 (Terrific!)





Publisher’s Blurb:

Alice Love is twenty-nine years old, deeply in love with her husband, and pregnant with their first child. Or so she thinks. Everything she knows to be true vanishes the day she wakes up on the floor of a gym (a gym? She HATES the gym!) to learn she is actually thirty-nine, has three children, and is in the midst of an acrimonious divorce.

With a decade of memories gone, Alice has to place together who she has become. But she isn’t sure if she likes what she sees, and she discovers that in the end, forgetting might be the most memorable thing that’s ever happened to her.


I don’t know why I waited so long (three years!) to read this book. Perhaps after reading several novels, back-to-back, dealing with memory loss (Still Alice, Before I Go to Sleep, and Turn of Mind), I wanted to wait and let this one stand alone in my memory. Or maybe after hearing a co-worker rave about it, I wanted to wait for the hype to settle down. Whatever the reason, it was certainly worth the wait. I began the book on our flight to New Mexico (yes, back in September!) and was completely engrossed, barely nodding my head at the flight attendant when asked if I wanted something to drink. Our days were long and full as we explored Santa Fe, Taos and the surrounding mountain areas, so I didn’t find much time for reading, but I did get quite a bit more read on our flights back to Lincoln, finishing up a few days after we’d returned home. I loved the originality of the story and was disappointed when the final pages drew near. This is one I’m going to hang on to, with hopes of a re-read in the coming years. It might also be entertaining on audio, as the dialogue is quite humorous.

Final Thoughts:

Set in 2008, poor Alice has no recollection of the past decade. Baffled by the mention of Y2K, texting, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (what happened to Gwyneth??), she is, more importantly, confused about her personal history. Who are those three children and why do they keep calling her Mummy? Part love story, part mystery, and yet not your typical breezy beach read, What Alice Forgot is an addictive, humorous and thought-provoking story and one that you’ll want to pass around to all your friends. I’m eager to curl up with some more books by Moriarty. Any recommendations? I keep hearing that The Husband’s Secret is another smart, funny novel.

P.S. Jojo Moyes and Liane Moriarty may be my new favorite authors of 2013.


11 comments:

  1. I read and enjoyed Moriarty's The Husband's Secret--will keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to read her latest and her backlist titles!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading it just tonigh. The first few pages have me hooked. I have a couple of Jojo Moyes books on my shelves. Hopefully I will get to them soon. I see you're reading 11/22/63. I quite enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those books that sucks you in from the opening pages, isn't it?

      Hope you enjoy Jojo Moyes as much as I do. Her blog is very entertaining, too.

      Yep, 11/22/63 is quite good. Long, but good. I think I just hit the halfway mark.

      Delete
  4. Oh yay!!! I knew that I wasn't going to get any books for Christmas so I bought this one for myself to put in my stocking. LOL!! The pickings were a bit slim at Target on Christmas Eve.

    I didn't realize that there was humor in this one. I'm looking forward to it even more after reading your praises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You picked a winner for your stocking. :) I think you'll really enjoy this one, Trish.

      Delete
  5. I loved this book too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read any of her others? I hope they're all as good as this one was.

      Delete
  6. I have been hearing good things about Liane Moriarty. I really need to read her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to give some of her other books a try. She's so readable. I love a good comfort read every now and then.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!